...time...

Monday, 11 February 2008

Men Don't Cry

I have this longing,

of trying to save the best for last.


Or at least, saving it for as long as one can.
*still haven't attempted to read the last Harry Potter book -_-*



So when a good friend *thanks, MF!* gave me some shows to watch last year, I haven't so much as glance through, except to finish Grey's Anatomy *a great show, though the later parts of season 3 has put me off watching season 4 -_-;*. But since 'tis the celebrative season, felt that one should be watching comedy shows ^_^ and hence I've just finished the only sure-comedy non-anime show that was available on disk...





Men Don't Cry should be more appropriately named 'Evil Kin' instead *demonstrating time and again TVB's creativity in coming up with English names -_-;;*. There were so many factors which should have stopped me from ever watching it - despise the lead actress *absolutely irritating*, dislike the second hero, the show belittles my favourite legendary Chinese hero Wong Fei Hung *mythical really - apparently, people in Foshan has never heard of him o.O*, a whole bunch of new actors/actresses, ... Sigh.

But I've always wanted to watch since it has my third favourite actor in it, Dayo Wong! ^_^
*yeah, I have no principles, I tell you >.<*

And thank heavens for Dayo, he saved the entire show indeed.

The idea of portraying the well-known villain as an anti-hero has its merits and originality. Quite the interesting concept, with much potential especially since it's by an actor such as Dayo Wong. But aside from the concept and the exceptional lead actor, the show flops. In fact, the script was pretty crappy right from the start.

The rest of the cast can be said to be eager to please, but it was as though they were trying too hard in all the wrong ways. Especially when it comes to the comedy parts. It might as well have been a one-man show for all it was *my theory is that TVB spent too much on hiring Dayo and as a result, everything else was shoddy*, and super-predictable that something must be up if they cast a veteran like Benz Hui as the 'second hero's sidekick' *rolls eyes*.

The only thing worth watching is Dayo Wong himself, who provided all the laughs *especially the hilarious side comments =D* and practically carried the entire show *whoa, deja vu! I said the exact same thing for War of Genders :p*. I do not know if they showed it during the credits while it aired, but these versions with NG parts were a definite laugh-out-loud icing on the cake *again, thanks! :p*.

But all was still going well, and they had to go end the good show of effort with such a ridiculous ending. Seriously!
*excuse me, but like, what the hell happened to the loyal-but-stupid sidekick?!?*

If they were trying to produce a similar effect to that of To Catch The Uncatchable, that would have been a far-fetched day-dream indeed. All I can say is, if you haven't already watched it and don't already like Dayo Wong, please do go to all lengths to avoid it *and yes, that means you!*. Or else, you'll just end up dismissing the great actor that is Dayo - and that would be just unfair =(

Of course, this somehow still manages to enhance the respect I had for Dayo Wong *I hear he insists on having no OTs!* ^_^ although I did wonder at one point how could he have demeaned himself to such a level as to accept this role offered by TVB *perhaps he thought it was challenging - I must admit, it did have some potential, which was eventually crushed by TVB =( I certainly hope that it wasn't he who insisted on the stupid ending >.<*.



...late forties, and still going strong...


If only they hadn't given up on making the sequel to To Catch The Uncatchable :'(
*now that had enormous potential and a much more supportive cast, particularly since they planned on making it into a series of half-an-hour slots featuring the hilarious detective in his investigations*


Whatever his choice in film roles, I do hope that Dayo Wong does act more in series, which actually gives more opportunities for him to shine.
*by the way, he is also officially my favourite comedian ever - Stephen Chow used to occupy that spot, right up until he made the horrendous King of Comedy*





... back to being dw-deficient.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i miss ada choi too! but she's hard to get la i guess... n doubly hard to pair her up with dayo again. anyway she just got married so i guess she should be quiet for a while. can't wait for her next series "gem of life".

fun² said...

Didn't know she got married -_-

Anyway, I don't really mind who's in the show as long as there's Dayo in it... :p think I'm getting overly-serious, starting to like him more than Lam Fung o.O