... dw ...
Am still sorely dw-deficient...
So much so that the whole of last week has been pretty much non-existent to me.
Having finished his latest series, I stumbled upon some videos of the inverview he had in Nov 2007 with Stephen Chan. It was exceptionally good as Dayo was quite laid back and straightforward, with heart-felt responses and absolutely no pretense. *it's extremely hard to find a good interview which doesn't feel like the interviewee is putting on a show* I supposed that's what fed my craving, and my addiction grew. At the moment, Dayo Wong has surpassed Raymond Lam to take second place on my list, looking like a strong contender for first :p
While googling Dayo *yes, I'm officially obssessed -_-*, couldn't find any official sites and any fan sites were all in Chinese =( I did, however, come across so many blogs dedicated to TVB and Asian entertainment that it was certainly surprising - I hope mine hasn't inadvertently become one o.O
*I need to get a life*
It was from one of these that I discovered Heart of Greed swept all awards but one at the latest TVB 40th Anniversary Awards held last year *think MF told me before, but it didn't really register then*. It beat Dicey Business *glad they didn't forget about this really good show* and even Drive of Life -_-;; Just goes to show again how these 'awards' are always flukes and never did any justice. Most of the time, I only referred to them to find out any series which might be a good watch but that I haven't heard off as yet *that's how I came to know about La Femme Desperado*.
But Heart of Greed strikes quite a dischord with me, as it was one of those majorly-hyped big-production shows which I couldn't stand to watch at all. When my friends were watching it, I gave it a try only because I heard Raymond Lam was in it. But I could only bear to put myself through the first irritating 5 or 6 episodes before I just couldn't take it anymore - even before Ray's character appeared. That's the only time my loyalty to Raymond Lam's acting has ever let me down. It's now coming back for a sequel in 2008 due to its 'popularity', and needless to say, I'm never watching it *this time, no Raymond Lam to tempt me through torture as his character apparently died in the first run*.
Another similar overly-hyped case was War and Beauty, which beat To Catch The Uncatchable at the 'awards' *another gross misjustice!* and that I regretted watching at all *only forced myself to finish watching the whole thing just to see why such a poor show could be touted as 'popular' - and Heart of Greed was absolutely worse*. Perhaps I just have distinctly weird tastes from the rest of the TVB-watching population.
There was another where the blogger mentioned that many 'ancient' series which had 'modern' sequels resulted in so many flops, and he/she wondered if any successful 'modern' series could make the transition back to 'ancient' safely. Come to think of it, don't think there was any good 'modern' ones which had 'ancient' sequels, is there?
And I somehow woke up today with the tantalising notion of a sequel to To Catch The Uncatchable in an 'ancient' period setting. Just think about it - Dayo can be a frail but intelligent constable *amongst other much larger and able-bodied constables* who is the son of a well-known constable, his boss could be a small town official *complete with sweaty head and handkerchief* who wants to do the right thing but is often afraid of other higher ranking officials, Ada and Marco could be business competitors trying to outwit each other *like, selling hot buns or something? :p*, the mother could be someone who has retired from the martial arts world, 'Jim Jim' could be the town's most eligible bachelor whose general of a father wants to find a wife for him but Jim somehow only has eyes for Ada *just a poor but fiery businesswoman?*, and just imagine all the new and interesting cases they would come across *ah, there could be some potential in the idea*,...
*ok, I really need to get a life*
Probably why I like Dayo so much is that I was lucky enough to watch his best shows first. I had heard of him much earlier before I had watched any of his. I recall being totally uninterested in watching his movies which were being promoted then, because nearly all of them are just B to C grade movies *yes, even the one co-starring Anita Mui* which are never worth going to the cinema for me. So when I first saw him in To Catch The Uncatchable, he was absolutely amazing! Then I found War of the Genders and he was crackingly superb!! Reading his bio and learning that he sort of founded stand up comedy in HK, I found some clips of his stand up shows which were so good that it has permanently sealed my respect for his talent *hats off!*. And now, that 'chat' he had with Stephen just made me fell more in love with him...
So you see, it was a good thing I hadn't let myself watch his films in the first place ;)
While writing this, I can just imagine MF and LH going "we have so different tastes, man!"
*well, not that many read my blog anyway*
All I can say is, I'm just weird lar.
Just have a look at this extremely short list of my favourite actors, and see if you can spot anything in common at all:
- Julian Cheung *first artist I ever liked, and that wasn't until college*
- Dayo Wong
- Raymond Lam
So far, these are the few I don't dislike and which I'll always look forward to watching any of their series. In my 2 decades of TV-watching-love, this is a pretty dismal list.
*this coming from a girl who grew up without having any favourite singer/actor/pop-star/celebrity and has never had so much as a poster on the walls*
... in need of a life.
*or at least, some tickets to watch Dayo's stand up shows in HK would be a great substitute for a life :p*
4 comments:
we have so different tastes, man. hehe. but i like raymond lam...so i guess it's not so bad. n there's nothing weird bout liking dw.
haha... well, who else likes dw? Guess it's weird that I don't like Heart of Greed. Even though it has Raymond Lam in it.
No idea what Heart of Greed is..guessing it's the one with Lychee in it...=P and yes..DIFFERENT TASTES DEAR!!!
2 long posts on dw is enough!!!
I know... I'm just obssessed =(
*if only got some fan site where I can vent my obssession...*
Who's Lychee? Heart of Greed is the one about the abalone family... If I recall correctly, you didn't like it either :p
Post a Comment