...time...

Sunday, 30 March 2008

... rediscovering Jeeves ...

Never have I been failed to be delighted with the works of P.G. Wodehouse. Best of which, is undoubtly the chronicles of the adventures of one Bertram Wooster and his ever suave-resourceful-diligent-mastermind-saviour of a butler, Jeeves.


Rediscovering Jeeves was perhaps the one thing that made me more than thankful that I had joined a library here.I say 're', as the first time I came across Wodehouse's work was back in secondary, when I found one of those rare gems in the old dusty school library *which no sane CBN-er goes to actually borrow books* that is Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit - and was immediately converted into a fan.


I must say, Wodehouse is definitely a genius in the art of creating comical situations out of seemingly unrelated everyday coincidences which presents a hostful of troubles for the hero in question, but nevertheless always somehow ends befittingly in a happy ending for all. Of course, the Jeeves series is full of them, and much more *best of Wodehouse indeed ^_^*.


I can't remember now all the funny details that happened in that first book I read, except that it was exceptionally good and a brief recollection that the main plot had something to do with Bertie's aunt's pearls. But I had never ignored a Wodehouse after that, and just have to read it if I came across one. In fact, my mum had mentioned to me about the famous Jeeves before then, though I thought Jeeves was the author instead before actually finding a copy of the books.

The latest one I picked up was Aunts Aren't Gentlemen, a slim volume in contrast to the other Jeeves collections. It was nothing short of an enjoyment, however. Especially loved Wodehouse's style and uncanny ability to describe the same situation in about a thousand different ways, all of them highly appropriate and witty to the core *amazing!*. And one never gets bored with them - never mind how everything always become unpredictable yet predictable in a sense, one is assured of a pleasingly happy ending even in the most apparently trying of circumstances. It's no easy task how seemingly ordinary daily circumstances can be blowned up to such hilarious proportions, resulting in the most sticky yet funny predicaments, yet it all ends up pleasantly somehow. In a way which even the harshest critic could find no fault *simply genius!*. Not to mention these were written almost a century ago...


Ok, I'm going on too much in this vein. Since I'm definitely lacking the wit and talent by worlds behind, I shall try not to bore you further.


Yes, I'm one of those irritating people who reproduce direct quotes and whatnots from shows/books/whatever-it-was-that-we-all-watched--or-read-together-anyway if I find them absolutely striking. But if I were to quote from Wodehouse, that would be 90% *if not more* of whatever the contents of the book was. They are just too good.


So try reading them. Especially Jeeves. *one can't help but wonder why such an unquestionably brilliant mind of a man would content himself to being a mere gentleman's personal gentleman - but then again, that's the story*


Bertie once said "... I was more the sort that is content just to exist beautifully". Ah... one couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

hooi said...

I beg to differ from your statement "which no sane CBN-er goes to actually borrow books from".

Hehe..I borrowed!! But that's cause you hid all the nice books in one nice lil corner for me and I just had to collect them. =P

fun² said...

Er, think you must have got the wrong person...

Did I ever do that? :p