Ouran Host Club
Right.
Due to some technical glitches and problems I've been having since the last 2 weeks *it's only been 2 weeks?!?*, I've been pretty much in a slightly-rebelious-highly-in-denial-couldn't-care-less-self-torturing mood -_-
Yes, I was forced to rely on my hard disk. And I didn't like it. That night itself, I watched Father and Sons until dawn *good in a so-so way, but the ending to Wong Hei's story arc was absolutely ridiculous*, before moving on to Ouran...
And Ouran High School Host Club was just simply amazing!!!*in a not-so-simple-but-rather-extravagant way ;) of course*
Was already hooked mid-way through the first episode itself :p The scenes were hilarious, the characters deep *favourites are Kyoya and Kaoru ^_^ though Mori has some of the best scenes despite not talking much*, the settings extravagant, the music classic *orchestral and chamber!*, the seiyuus superb *ah, I love Kaoru's sensitive voice! by the way, Tamaki's was done by the same seiyuu who did Light in Death Note, 2 roles which give much opportunity to shine indeed - Tamaki's flamboyant inflexions, Light's dark justice* ... In fact, there's so many things to take note of that I even watched the first episode TWICE before moving on to the other episodes. Just so I can catch everything and not miss anything *I keep picking up more subtle hints the second and even third time round :p * And I just love those interestingly-humorous-not-to-mention-sarcastic side comments! *though it may be a tad bordering on over-cluttering, especially for people like me who rely on fan-subs*
Seriously.
Never have I seen something so deliciously hilarious, yet so profoundly sad. *seriously, it's light-hearted and heavy-hearted all in one :'(*
It is really a great pity that there are no plans for a continuation. The anime really sets the stage for a beautiful angst-ridden story indeed and builds up anticipation of much future heart-break *well, to me anyway...* Somehow, it felt like they were just aiming to introduce people to the manga instead...
Which is a good thing, I suppose. After finishing those brief 26 episodes twice in a row, I decided to try out the manga.
Well, if one was to just read the first chapter alone, it's really nothing to shout about at all -_-
If it wasn't for the exquisite masterpiece that is the anime, I would have given up on the manga before the end of chapter one. No offence, but the graphics were messy and the characters drawn very inconsistently. I can't help but be more impressed than I already am with the anime production team (especially the director) - the softened tones, refined sequencing, added touches of poignant flashback, ... The manga did however get cleaner *much cleaner* in the later chapters *though I still can't shake off the feeling that the heroine looks eerily like a feminine version of L everytime she appears o.O * Of course, the manga did provide good material for the anime. I usually side with the version which comes first as the original, and usually manga would be the case - but seriously, I am only following the manga since there's no further seasons to the anime *again, why....? :'(*
The only complaint I could have of the anime is how the 'climax' in the final 2 episodes felt rather inconsistent with the flow of the story. But even that, the anime producers did a good job by compensating with a few classic scenes which definitely can't be found in the manga.
Did I neglect to mention that the anime's got gorgeous soundtracks and background music? Other than that cheesy-upbeat-pop-tune opening and the *much nicer* acoustic ending song, everything else as pretty orchestral. It makes such classic use of orchestral and chamber music that they fit the extravagant plot premises perfectly indeed *albeit, it's strangely reminiscent of Death Note at some points - must be the same team?*. Ah, and the OSTs also include character songs sung by the seiyuus themselves! *of particular note, Mori's and Kyoya's ^_^*
But, all good things come to an end. Brief. Short-lived.
I suppose if they did do a continuation, it would have to be too much of a tear jerker. In direct opposition to the first. Perhaps it's better to leave it at that. A happy ending, in a sense.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to content myself with the OSTs *ah, I want the sheet music!!!* and wait for the next chapter of the manga instead...
... then again, hope is never gone. However one-sided-delusional-hopelessly-in-denial slim.
p/s: I miss listening to my blog! Well, was going to see how long I can hold out for before succumbing... but Ouran Host Club is too good for me to forget. Until all technical problems are resolved *or I finally get a life*, there will be few updates in future.
0 comments:
Post a Comment