Exeter
The postcard that I sent myself from Exeter came today, less than a day from when I myself arrived back...
Was in Exeter for a few days before and after the long Easter weekend. Working alone on an away job. Even so, didn't really explore the place much, which was a pity considering that it's a 3 hour train from London. Since it was too late to get bookings at the usual and much classier hotel by the time I was told I had booked accommodation, spent the first nights in Holiday Inn Express. It was further from the city centre and didn't even have it's own restaurant. So I called for take-out delivery for dinners, being too lazy to go looking for restaurants on my own. It worked out pretty well though.
The next 2 nights, I managed to book a hotel closer to work and within the city centre itself. This one was 4-5 blocks walk away, but it had it's own restaurant at least. The place wasn't cheap, and I wasn't even full after my first dinner there. So I decided to go out somewhere for my second and last dinner there, and found an authentic Thai restaurant near the famous Exeter Cathedral.
...exeter cathedral...
Could only see the cathedral from the outside, as it was almost sunset by the time I got there after work. But it was quite impressive indeed.
The food at the Thai restaurant was very good indeed *much more authentic feel than Thai Square, at any rate* and the service was excellent. Managed to embarrass myself hugely by asking for a table with better lighting to read the book I had brought along since I was dining alone, and they misunderstood me and thought I was complaining about the dim lights. I didn't realise the mistake until the entire restaurant's lamps became much brighter suddenly, and had to apologised and ask them to turn them down back to original.
The next day, I went and bought myself a postcard and barely managed to dropped it off in a postbox before running on board the train.
By the way, the owner of the restaurant was Thai and actually asked me if I was a Thai-English mixed when she came with my bill. Imagine that, an actual Thai thinking I had Thai blood in me? ^_^ Wait, should I even take it as a compliment? o.O
*do I really look Thai?*
... and now I'm back to work, here in London.
0 comments:
Post a Comment