...time...

Saturday, 9 June 2007

Portobello Market


Spent most of the day today at the famous Portobello Market... Make sure you go on a Saturday, 'cause apparently the antique shops are only open on Saturdays though the road stalls (mostly fruits, vegetables, *pasar malam type* clothing 'n' bags, ... not what you'd go for all the way to Portobello Road) are open on Sundays too...

...Portobello Market...

Lots of things for sale, and more things to see! Antiques (obviously, it is famous for those), prints, photographs, stamps, jewelry, old cameras, typewriters, old toys, miniatures, magnifying glasses, compasses, ...
...fruits 'n' vegetables...
...tomatoes...
...large strawberries...
...cherries...
...olives 'n' lavender...
...onion grass (?)...
...Russian dolls...
...Santa Claus Russian dolls...
...Winnie the Pooh Russian dolls...
...colonial soldier figurines...
...funky hairdryers...
...typewriters...
...metalic dog on bicycle...
Couldn't take many photos though... Most of the sellers don't allow people to take pictures *rolls eyes*... So ended up with pics of stuff other than antiques instead... :(

...lunch...
Bought that off one of the stalls for lunch... No idea what's it called ;p... Took me ages to finish it... I know it doesn't look a lot *I can polish off greater things than that ;)*, but dunno why it took me so long... Possibly because I was too interested in looking at the wares on sale. Haha... So I just carried it around with me up and down the road while slowly taking it all in...
And I found this!

...penguins go up, penguins go down...

Ah, the memories... Had one exactly the same, used to spend hours playing with this... Was particularly fascinated in how the stairs move the penquins up... :p No idea what happened to my old one, probably got thrown out long ago by my mom *sob*

...apricots...

Didn't buy much (though was very much tempted to). Bought some pears, cherries (first of this summer), apricots (yes, first time in my life I saw fresh apricots! *at least, I think they're apricots*), veges for the week's groceries, and stamps... These were random UK stamps, sold at 100 pieces in a pack... Shared with a couple of my friends, and we divided the stamps up once we got home...

...stamps...


And that's it. Think it was a great achievement for me not to buy more... :p but will definitely go there more often in future... *sigh* if only it's not that far from my place...

0 comments: