...time...

Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Coffee Prince

I love it!


Ok, it must have been too long since I last watched any drama. Thanks to CE for introducing it to me. We watched some of the middle episodes at her place after my exams, she being already hooked on it and didn't want to watch anything else while I was glad to just bum around.


Not that I'd watched many kdramas before *and usually don't like some enough to finish the series*. The more popular ones tend to be typical - much like how Taiwan dramas are in comparison to Hong Kong ones. But Korean ones have definitely surpassed the cliche-soap-opera league, and taken it to an entirely new level. *not to mention that kdramas don't usually rely on just eye candy for leading roles*


Or maybe it's just so easy for me to forgive the cheesy/corny/teary/flaky-fake-laugh-y/cliche-y bits of the story when it comes gift-wrapped with such drool-worthy soundtracks to aid one's obsession.

Great music not only sets the ambience, but allows one to relive the passion and emotions long after 'the end'. Especially if the soundtrack sounds as though it has been put together with a lot of tlc just for it *like Ouran* ^_^ Just remember to avoid listening to a famous soundtrack before watching the show itself as it's more than likely to impair your enjoyment of the scene *made that mistake with Noir, which I still haven't finish the rest of the series -_-* Then again, it's just me who's distracted by such trivial background stuff... Oh, and eye candy's always a plus.


One thing about Coffee Prince *and probably why I like it best* is that it's so refreshing. This could be because I've been deprived of good entertainment all this while. But really, it's absolutely unpretentious, the story's not exaggerated, doesn't make one feel like pulling one's hair in frustration and wondering why one's still watching *they might have dragged the 'not-telling-him' part a teeny bit too much, but at least things don't get blown so out-of-proportion that it takes more than 1 episode to resolve*, leaves you feeling happy *even after sad scenes*, beautiful compilation of songs, ... most of all, great chemistry within the cast.

Seriously, all 4 main characters were great for their roles. This is the first time I've watched Yoon Eun Hye *yes, I have not watched Goong* and her acting is brilliant here as the 1st heroine. Cute, sincere, endearing, and it never once felt strange to see her acting against the other 3 more mature cast. She was just... so natural. Makes me want to watch Goong *though I'm betting she's not as good there*. I think the only reason why I never once cried during the whole thing is because she does it so well that I'm just happy to watch o.O

1st hero Gong Yoo didn't interest me at first (he kept reminding me of some HK actor whom I couldn't remember at first while watching it at CE's place, but now that I've finished it I realised it was Lui Fong *a taller-lankier-cheekier version :p wonder if Dodo Cheng's seen Gong Yoo*). I definitely preferred the 2nd hero Lee Sun Gyun (who's more good-looking, with a nice deep voice, and really looks like Francis Ng when he's got his specs on) *yours truly: one-who-watches-too-many-tvb-dramas-and-doesn't-meet-enough-people-in-real-life*, paired perfectly with the 2nd heroine Chae Jung Ahn (who was beautiful, smart, successful, and surprisingly not irritating *kdramas too often have a prettier-but-bitchier female 2nd lead and I'm glad that there's no villain here for once*).

The 1st hero did steal most of the limelight towards the end *the later episodes didn't give much scope for the 1st heroine to shine anyway* where he's got more chances to be cheeky as well as adorably jealous and impatient. There'll never be someone like his character in real life, but I'm pretty sure I'll melt if I so much as overhear any guy singing Norul Saranghae like that to any other girl from now on +_+ *this song has officially made the list of my top favourite love songs ever - actually, I can't remember ever having a favourite love song until now...*


Gong Yoo *voice's not bad* and Yoon Eun Hye *previous professional singer* should do a duet version of that song, it would definitely sell ;) Their characters are made for each other *she being not girlie, he being an obnoxious softie* and they're just too adorable together *even all the kissing were natural*. And the perfect 2nd couple completes the set, looking fabulous together. Out of the 4, I think Gong Yoo will definitely have the hardest time in future if he tries to play another good-guy cheeky character as people will remember him for this role instead. The other 3 seem more versatile to me, especially Yoon Eun Hye *looking forward to her next leading role*.


And manager Hong was a riot all by himself. *he's got a good singing voice too*


This is definitely one show that I can watch again and again, that I would't mind collecting it. Did I already mention the great collection of songs used in the series? ^_^ Now, if only I can find some sheet music for piano.


And another fix =(



... craving for kim chi fried rice.

0 comments: