... chinatown CNY ...
Last Tuesday, finally got the chance to shop at Westfield London. It's what we Malaysians would call a shopping mall - with modern designs, wide open spaces, and nice seating areas to relax in. Finally, somewhere to shop which reminds you of home. Well, slightly reminiscent of Pavillion, at the very least. But despite its size, was disappointed by the number of shops available. Best was the designer village, but it's not exactly my cup of tea *or bowl of rice, for that matter* on a 'shopping' experience. So, although it is a nice place and all, I'd much prefer Oxford Street or Covent Garden any day. Not to mention closer at hand.
Started work on Wednesday, and it's been pretty busy since. Peak season's getting well under way for me.
Today, went out to see what the Chinatown celebrations are like this year. Didn't really make it last year since I was too lazy to go down on my own, but got CE to teman this year ^_^ And man, was it crowded. Not the usual chinese crowd, mind you. But loads of non-chinese milling around, who are of course, always taller than yours truly. With kids on their shoulders. Net result was I not only have to push my way along the street while trying not to lose sight of CE, but attempting to see my way without visibly jumping and dodging little children's feet from swinging right into my face...
And me being jakun me ^_^ I bought one of those souvenir paper dragons!
Hahaha... I must be the only chinese holding something so obviously a gimmick in the middle of chinatown during their official day of celebrations. There were several stalls selling quite good quality chinese souvenirs *what can I say, I'm a real sucker for souvenirs*, lion dance *nothing quite as grand as the ones we have back home*, and even a stall for TVB channel subscriptions *hm, wonder which network they'll piggyback*.
Some people were giving out flyers and gold coin chocolates *nice!*, and we met a God of Wealth distributing red packets *mainly to non-chinese anyway, so don't need to speculate what's inside*. There's even supposed to be some food stalls, but we didn't attempt to push our way through the crowd much. Besides, from the colour of the paus that we saw some others eating in their hands, we probably wouldn't have bothered to try.
So, after pushing a bit and taking a few of the required pics, we decided not to break through the main street of Chinatown (Gerrard Street) and left instead. At least now I can say that I know what it's like to be there ;)
Headed for Malaysian Hall next, as there's supposed to be a CNY open house that day and CE hasn't been there before. We arrived after the stated time and as usual, people had to wait outside in the freezing cold *it was even snowing a bit in the morning* for the minister to arrive and start some speech or ceremony *cue eye rolling*. They even had a lion dance scheduled, but had chosen the Manchurian type instead which definitely lacked any sort of impact. We hung around until we couldn't wait anymore, and went for waffles instead. Think I was outdoors too long without enough preparation, 'cos the blood in my hands were so frozen that I had no idea how I managed to still hold the takeaway box and made it into the nearest heated shopping center, which was Whiteleys. Even then, it was some time before I could start feeling my fingers again and actually start eating my waffle properly. Which was a chocolate covered one with fresh fruit ^_^ and was delicious.
Ended up buying more stuff at Whiteleys rather than Westfield. And did you know there's even a WOFS branch in London? Sigh, globalisation continues...
Then we shopped a bit and hung around, before I met up with L for dinner at Four Seasons. Yup, apparently she doesn't like roast duck back home and wanted to have more of Four Seasons' version before going back o.O
edit: Apparently, there's a Four Seasons branch back home too -_- Prefer our local road side stall roast duck any day!
By the way, HL went back for good at the beginning of the year, and now L is going too.
Oh, and it started snowing again during dinner, right on into the night.
0 comments:
Post a Comment