...time...

Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Hairspray

Last Mon, I sat for the paper again.


And I know I failed it.
*you don't have to wait more than a month for results to confirm what one knows best about oneself*


You know, I never learn.


It's always too late.


Nothing one can do now but accept the fact and enjoy my last days here *estimate I'll still be hanging around London 'til Feb before I had to pack my bags and kick my sorry ass back to KL*, with the axe hovering above for most of it until the results are out.



Which brings my attention to the fact that I haven't done anything at all, after being here 1 year and a half. Man, this is gonna be a long long list of things I need to do before end of Feb. And no more holidays to boot apart from Christmas.



Sigh.



Anyway, went to see Hairspray last week when CE got a couple of tickets from work. I've only heard about the movie so far *the one with John Travolta cross-dressing* and decided not to check out the synopsis to avoid spoiling it.

Which was kinda a mistake, since it's hard to make out every word they're singing when you don't already know the rough storyline beforehand. Overall, it wasn't that bad. Think the best thing going for it is the funny parts, mainly provided by the mother and played by a guy. Other than that, the set and props were minimal and the dance moves were a tad disappointing. It's a bit hard to believe the heroine's supposed to be on a dance tv show when the choreography *if any effort was involved* was lacking and the dancing sequences mediocre at best. Maybe it's to fit the early '60s setting and not stress the singers much?

At the end of it, it's smart that they end with a song which they can encourage the audience to stand up, for it inadvertantly provided an impromptu standing ovation. But not catchy enough, as I was already struggling to remember any of the songs from the musical on my walk home alone.



Fame was definitely better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mamma mia rocks more than hairspray! but fame i haven't watched...so i dunno.

fun² said...

Movies or the musicals?

Anyway, Mamma Mia's better, since they count on ABBA's infectious songs :p